The Mena Intermountain Municipal Airport is owned and operated by the City of Mena and currently has a 6,000 ft. hard surface, lighted runway with an Instrument Landing System. The runway is served by the NDB, frequency 242 KHz, AWOS, frequency 118.025 MHz and other standard navigational aids.
Industries at the airport provide paint, upholstery, maintenance and avionics to the general and commercial aviation industry. Their reputation for quality work, competitive prices and quick turn-around ability is known world-wide. In addition there is on-site training through Rich Mountain Community College classes.
The Airport's History:
An airport at Mena was the dream of interested pilots and hobby flyers in the 1930's. A rough flying field was started on the McBride property south of town in the early 40's. In 1942, Hartzell Geyer built the first hangar and opened a small flying school. In 1946, serious construction began as the Civil Aeronautics Commission (now the FAA) chose the site as an emergency landing strip for commercial aircraft. The chosen site would be located the approximate midway point between Fort Smith and Texarkana making it a desirable place approximately 100 miles from those airports. Mayor Albert Middleton requested the property under Eminent Domain from the McBride estate.
In the early years, the grass field was maintained by an agreement with a farmer who mowed and bailed the runway for the hay; a tradition that remains today. After development of the airstrip, several businesses began to service aircraft at the remote but centrally located airport. Popularity of the airport has continued to grow through the years.
Today, Mena Intermountain Municipal Airport is a city owned, general aviation airport located 2 miles from the city center, occupying approximately 1,079 acres. Most of this land is available for commercial lease.